Chief of Party
Supporting Education in Syria
Development Catalyst International (DCI) formerly known as “Change Thru Empowerment” is an international development organization, dedicated to improving education, youth development, governance, economic conditions and respond to humanitarian crisis. It focuses on forming inclusive educational systems, developing sustainable economic growth, promoting free and fair elections, good governance, engaging youth and offering ICT solutions to the community and economic development problems triggered by ineffective governance, and instability in both development and emergency contexts.
DCI seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates to manage and provide leadership to an anticipated 3-years “Supporting Education in Syria” program funded by the U.S. Department of State. The Chief of Party will be based in Berlin, Germany and work closely with the Home Office and local partner organizations to ensure that the project activities are successfully implemented in the northeast Syria particularly in Raqqa and Deir Ezzor governorates with potential expansion in Hassakeh Governorate as well as other non-regime-held areas of Syria as the situation permits. S/he will be responsible for the overall performance of the project, including meeting project objectives, ensuring project finances are properly utilized and in compliance with the Department of State regulations, and other tasks, as assigned.
This position is contingent on the funding. Syrian and Regional candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Ensure high quality project deliverables and results are being met, including providing technical oversight and supervision to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, internal and donor reports and assessments.
- Oversees development of project strategy and work plans in coordination with the donor.
- Coordinate with key stakeholders to ensure that project activities are relevant, adaptive, and sustainable.
- Serves as a primary point of contact with donor on programmatic issues, maintaining effective relations and coordination with the donor and implementing partners.
- Supervises planning, development of processes, and overall project operations.
- Work closely with the Home Office and implementing partners in establishing project protocols and procedures compliant with organizational policies and procedures and donor’s regulations.
- Ensure quality control for all aspects of the project including overall financial planning and management.
- Ensures that activities are implemented and on track as per project requirements and that deliverables are high quality and responsive to the donor’s requirements.
- Accountable for all areas of project budget to ensure accuracy in projections, forecasting and modifications (realignments, cost, and no cost extensions, etc.).
- Ensure all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with the organizational policies and procedures and donor regulations.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of work experience in relevant field required, Master’s preferred.
- Experience and expertise in the implementation of education projects preferred.
- Experience in education in conflict programming preferred.
- Experience of working with the USAID and/or U.S. Department of State preferred.
- Successful record of supervising, designing, and implementing donor-funded technical assistance programs, with strong preference for US Department of State funded project management experience.
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills.
- Strong writing skills, including donor reporting and MEL is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with partners, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.