Governance issues in Pakistan had been hampering the development process and contributing to the escalating poverty esp. in the most deprived and underprivileged provinces of Pakistan i.e. Baluchistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. To support good governance and improving governance practices, DCI implemented the following key interventions:
- Engaged the civil society and citizens in policy dialogues on Provincial budgets and their implications on social services esp. on education.
- Supported the Provincial Anti-Corruption Department in Baluchistan and run advocacy campaign against corruption on International Anti-Corruption Day.
- Mainstreamed Baluchistan youth in governance, organized and trained youth groups to lead the monitoring of public development schemes at the districts’ level and reports were shared with the political and administrative leaderships demanding corrective measures and attention as required.
- Engaged civil society, local political leadership, youth, and citizens in policy consultations on free and fair elections in Baluchistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces of Pakistan.
- Built the capacity of over 30 Provincial Policy department and Levis officials in Baluchistan on protecting refugees and host communities esp. women and girls.
- Effectively engaged with Election Commission of Pakistan for smooth registration of voters esp. women who got their national identities in voter list to be able to vote in election.
- Conducted policy dialogues with Election Commission of Pakistan on making the electoral process democratic and transparent.
- Customized training modules for 2nd Generation of Nazims (elected local government representatives) and developed operational plans for training of Nazims in Baluchistan.
- Developed two training modules for Women’s Empowerment through Democratic Opportunities to train women leaders.
- People engaged thru Policy Dialogues:
- Raised awareness around Anti-corruption:
- Trained youth to monitor local development:
- Engaged people in policy consultation on free and fair elections:
- Built capacity of policy dept.& Levis officials:
- Registered voters esp. women:
- Trained Nazims: 1,000
- HHs educated thru door-to-door visits: 5000
- People reached thru social media: 45,155
- Improved voter turnout in PA: 27% to 41%
- Improved voter turnout in NA: 28% to 43%
Pakistan: 3 Districts of Baluchistan Province and 1 District of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province
USAID, GoB Pakistan, Foundation for Future